Monday, May 10, 2010

Little Brain and PD

We both heard the diagnosis at the same time.  Dorrie and I were seeing yet another Doctor in our quest for what we'd hoped was a simple answer to some annoying symptoms.  This time it was a Neurologist.  "I think you have Parkinson's Disease."

My reaction... "Cool, this sounds like a fun challenge..." (to myself, of course)

Dorrie's reaction?  She became immediately ill... struggling to stay conscious as waves of nausea poured over her.  "Maybe," I thought, "I won't tell her about the 'fun challenge' part right now..."

A STEP BACK IN TIME
I was a very good athlete.  Basketball was the game, and I was strong, agile, and competitive to the core.  In High School, I lead the entire league in scoring.  And with this accomplishment in hand, I was able to negotiate two athletic scholarships, almost completely covering my college tuition.  And, to top it all off, I was voted "Campus Clown" in my second year... people liked me... 
To be continued... (for now, off to bed!)

____________________

It is difficult for me to write about my struggle with Parkinson's Disease.  It currently is a terminal neurological disease with no known cure.  It has robbed me of much of my day to day strength... and I can see that I'm losing ground fast.  However, in many ways "Parks" (as nicknamed by Dorrie) has turned out to be a great friend and teacher.  Sitting in his class and listening to his lectures year after year has matured me as I've come to better know myself through suffering.  

No comments:

Post a Comment