Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Know Where You're Going?

"Comfort and prosperity have never enriched the world as much as adversity has." Billy Graham

 

 Billy Graham,
at 91 has 
Parkinson’s

In January 2000, leaders in Charlotte, North Carolina, invited their favorite son, Billy Graham, to a luncheon in his honor.
Billy initially hesitated to accept the invitation because... he struggles with Parkinson’s disease. But the Charlotte leaders said, “We don’t expect a major address. Just come and let us honour you.” So he agreed.

After wonderful things were said about him, Dr. Graham stepped to the rostrum, looked at the crowd, and said, “I’m reminded today of Albert Einstein, the great physicist who this month has been honored by Time magazine as the Man of the Century. Einstein was once travelling from Princeton on a train when the conductor came down the aisle, punching the tickets of every passenger. When he came to Einstein, Einstein reached in his vest pocket. He couldn’t find his ticket, so he reached in his trouser pockets. It wasn’t there, so he looked in his briefcase but couldn’t find it. Then he looked in the seat beside him. He still couldn’t find it.

The conductor said, “Dr. Einstein, I know who you are. We all know who you are. I’m sure you bought a ticket. Don’t worry about it.”

Einstein nodded appreciatively. The conductor continued down the aisle punching tickets. As he was ready to move to the next car, he turned around and saw the great physicist down on his hands and knees looking under his seat for his ticket.

The conductor rushed back and said, “Dr. Einstein, Dr. Einstein, don’t worry, I know who you are. No problem. You don’t need a ticket. I’m sure you bought one.”

Einstein looked at him and said, “Young man, I too, know who I am. What I don’t know is where I’m going.’”

Having said that Billy Graham continued, “See the suit I’m wearing? It’s a brand new suit. My wife, my children, and my grandchildren are telling me I’ve gotten a little slovenly in my old age. I used to be a bit more fastidious. So I went out and bought a new suit for this luncheon and one more occasion.

You know what that occasion is? This is the suit in which I’ll be buried. But when you hear I’m dead, I don’t want you to immediately remember the suit I’m wearing. I want you to remember this:

I not only know who I am ... I also know where I’m going.”  

(author unknown)

Do you know? 
 
John 14:1-3 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."





My Little Brain Pledge:
  1. I purpose to be passionate in the pursuit of holiness, and to look for and remove any weeds of sin which I've allowed either overtly or covertly to invade my heart.
  2. I purpose to lead a disciplined life; to rise early and to study God's Word with all the determination I can muster, expecting God to provide both wisdom and faith to constantly lead my wife and family to the cross. 
  3. I purpose to kick "Parks" in the ass every time he shows up... he has overstayed his welcome and I must not let him take over my life. He selfishly looks to weaken both my spiritual and physical walk... but with Christ's help he will NEVER do so! Every time I struggle out of bed and reach for medicine, in my heart I will always purpose to reach for the grace which only Christ can (and will) provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment